Baker’s Choice CMC- also known as Cellulose Gum is water soluble and can be used as a suspending agent, stabilizer or thickening agent.
Some baked good applications where CMC is used include:
- Frozen dough: CMC weakens the influence of frozen treatment on the gluten starch structure of the dough.
- Tortillas: CMC is added to tortillas for shelf life extension and to maintain a pliable texture.
- Gluten free bread and cakes: Improves the internal structure like gluten proteins and helps with moisture retention and mouthfeel.
- Fried doughs: CMC can reduce oil absorption and improve the texture of fried products.
- Cookies: CMC functions as a release aid and spread controller.